What is it about S’mores desserts that we love so much. I think it’s the roasted marshmallow that makes them impossible to pass up. But unless you’re a big camper or have a fire pit in the back yard, it’s hard to reproduce the flavor and texture.
S’mores Rice Krispie Bars do a great job of providing you with gooey marshmallows and chocolate without a campfire. If you want the graham cracker taste also, then give S’more Cookies a try, they are one of my most asked for cookies.
How to make the BEST S’more Rice Krispie Bars
This S’mores Bars recipe is quicker and easier than making a batch of cookies, but you do need a microwave or stove and an oven.
Step 1: Start by melting butter and marshmallows together.
Step 2: Add your favorite chocolate and some vanilla and then quickly pour in Rice Krispies and chopped pretzels before the marshmallows mixture cools down. Once combined, you just put the sticky mixture into a baking dish and let them cool. You can leave out the pretzels, but I love the salty crunchiness they add.
Step 3: Now that you have some pretty delicious chocolate Rice Krispie bars, pour mini marshmallows on top and place the pan under the broiler.
Step 4: Plant yourself next to the oven door, don’t walk away. It won’t take long for the marshmallows to get warm and ooze together and then the magic happens, they’ll start to turn golden brown. If you turn away to let the dog out, you’ll have burnt S’mores Bars, which is not really a bad thing, I know lots of people, Taylor, who purposefully burn their marshmallows, for me, I’m looking for a golden brown color, no flames.
When it comes to marshmallows, I like them to be yellow-brown, but others like theirs burnt. Campfire Marshmallows has some instructions along with recipes and helpful tips for roasting the perfect marshmallow! Or you could be over the top and make your own homemade marshmallow creme for the top.
Once you have your perfect color on the marshmallows, remove from the oven and cut them, even though the top will be a gooey mess. These are the best while the marshmallows are still warm. However, once they have cooled completely, the flavor is still the same, just not all melty like they are right out of the oven. How can these be bad, it’s a chocolate Rice Krispie bar covered with roasted marshmallows. A kid’s dream.
I used Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate and Milk Chocolate chips.
More Bar Recipes you might enjoy
If you make S’mores Bars be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 4 ounces milk chocolate chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups crisped rice cereal
- 1 ½ cups mini pretzel twists salted, some crushed, some not
- 6 ounces mini marshmallows
- Line an 8 x 8 inch pan with parchment paper and butter the parchment and sides of the pan.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine butter and 10 ounces of mini marshmallows. Microwave until melted and smooth checking every 30 seconds. Immediately add all the chopped chocolate and microwave for a few seconds until melted, add vanilla.
- With a rubber spatula fold in the cereal and pretzels quickly before the mixture gets cold. Press into the prepared baking dish and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- Turn on broiler of oven. Top cold bars with mini marshmallows so that the top is covered, about 6 ounces. Place under broiler and cook for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. Watch carefully so that they don’t burn. Cut right away and serve while still warm.