Cherry Streusel Bars
Cherry Streusel Bars are a wonderful way to showcase frozen cherries and they ship well if you want to share with a friend.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ⅔ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen cheeries, slightly thawed
- ¾ cups (10 ounces) cherry preserves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/2 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup slivered almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1.Preheat oven to 375º, line a 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment and spray it lightly with cooking spray.
2.CRUST: In a food processor, combine flour, sugar and salt and process to combine. Add butter and pulse until butter is in small pieces, about 15 pulses. Transfer 1/4 cup to a medium bowl to use for streusel. Place the rest in the bottom of the prepared pan and press into an even layer using the bottom of a measuring cup. Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden brown.
3.FILLING: Add all ingredients to the food processor and pulse until combined but still a little chunky. Set aside.
4.STREUSEL: Add oats, almonds and brown sugar to the reserved flour mixture. Add butter and use fingers to combine and forms into small clumps. Set aside.
5.Add cherry mixture to baked crust, it can still be hot. Then sprinkle streusel over the top, don’t press it in. Bake until filling is bubbling and streusel is golden brown, 24-28 minutes.
6.Cool on wire rack. When cool, remove from pan and cut into 24 bars.