What INGREDIENTS do you need for these simple cherry streusel bars
- For the CRUST, you need sugar, flour, salt and butter.
- For the FILLING, you need frozen cherries, cherry preserves, lemon juice and almond extract.
- For the STREUSEL, you need rolled oats, slivered almonds, brown sugar and butter
How do you MAKE streusel bars
Step 1: Make the crust by placing the sugar, flour and salt in a food processor and then add cold butter. All but 1/4 cup goes in the bottom of the pan and is baked until golden brown.
Step 2: While the crust is baking add all of the filling ingredients to the food processor and pulse until it’s chunky. Spread it on the crust when it comes out of the oven.
Step 3: Combine the oats, almonds and brown sugar to the reserved flour mixture and add cold butter, combining with your fingers. Sprinkle on top of the cherry mixture and bake for about 25 minutes.
More CHERRY recipes
- Cherry crinkle cookies have both dried cherries and cherry preserves
- Use fresh or frozen cherries in a Clafoutis
- Mix cherries with raspberries in yummy coffee cake
- Go savory and add them to pork tenderloin
Looking for more HOLIDAY desserts
- Sprinkle cookies are so festive
- If you like peppermint, then try this easy peppermint fudge
- Add some holiday sprinkles to white chocolate chex mix
- Make brownies and add a peppermint frosting
If you make Cherry Streusel Bars, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Cherry Streusel Bars
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ⅔ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons butter chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen cherries slightly thawed
- ¾ cups (10 ounce) cherry preserves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice 1/2 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup slivered almonds chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 375º, line a 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment and spray it lightly with cooking spray.
- CRUST: In a food processor, combine flour, sugar and salt and process to combine. Add butter and pulse until butter is in small pieces, about 15 pulses. Transfer 1/4 cup to a medium bowl to use for streusel. Place the rest in the bottom of the prepared pan and press into an even layer using the bottom of a measuring cup. Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden brown.
- FILLING: Add all ingredients to the food processor and pulse until combined but still a little chunky. Set aside.
- STREUSEL: Add oats, almonds and brown sugar to the reserved flour mixture. Add butter and use fingers to combine and forms into small clumps. Set aside.
- Add cherry mixture to baked crust, it can still be hot. Then sprinkle streusel over the top, don’t press it in. Bake until filling is bubbling and streusel is golden brown, 24-28 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack. When cool, remove from pan and cut into 24 bars.