My husband favors lemon desserts so I always try to make something lemony for his birthday. However this year I decided to try a lemon chicken penne entree instead. The lemon flavor comes from the sauce, not the chicken. I was afraid it might be too lemony but it wasn’t and I ended up adding more lemon juice. Add a little and then tweak per your preference. I used the juice from one lemon.
I prefer more chicken and less pasta but if you need to make this go farther, just add more pasta, the sauce is good enough to serve you can make this vegetarian and leave out the chicken.
How do you make this Lemon Chicken Penne Recipe
Step 1: Boil the pasta, but just until it’s slightly firm.
Step 2: Cook the cubes of chicken in a skillet and remove to a plate.
Step 3: In the same skillet, make the sauce with chicken broth, lemon juice and sour cream.
Step 4: Add the chicken to the sauce with the pasta and serve.
This was another recipe that everyone liked, always an accomplishment for me.
Are you looking for more PASTA dishes
- Baked pasta alla vodka is great when you are feeding a crowd
- We love carbonara with shrimp and corn
- If you are looking for something super simple, then try Taco Spaghetti, made in one pot
- Need some comfort food, make Sunday Sauce
Love lemons, try some of these
- Lemon chiffon pie
- Lemon mustard chicken
- Lemon bars
- Berry crisp with lemon curd
- Lemon garlic chicken
- Lemon pasta with squash
- Lemon cookies
Adapted from Everyday Pasta by Giada De Laurentiis
I might receive income from links that you click on. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Lemon Chicken Penne
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into cubes
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cream
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until tender but still a little firm, about 8-10 minutes. Drain.
- While cooking, heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Season the cubed chicken breast with the herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and set aside. Pour off any excess oil from the pan. Add the chicken broth to the pan and cook over medium-high heat, using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the cream, lemon zest and cayenne. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta, chicken, salt and pepper, parsley and lemon juice. Toss to coat the pasta and chicken with the sauce and serve.