Lemon Garlic Chicken is an easy oven baked chicken dinner you can put together in 20 minutes or less. A quick weeknight dinner that’s delicious and healthy. It’s a winner for everyone.
One of my friends mentioned how she struggles to find time to cook with work and kids, which put me on the search for some meals like, Lemon Garlic Chicken, that can be quickly put together by someone who is in a hurry and might not have much cooking experience. I wanted it to be quick but truly spectacular. So I started the stopwatch and then got out the ingredients and put this together in slightly less than 19 minutes. However part of that time was spent peeling and mincing the garlic. So the second time, I used minced garlic in a jar and it was still delicious and something anyone could put together in less than 10 minutes, 9 to be exact.
How do you make baked Lemon Garlic Chicken
Step 1: Sauté garlic in olive oil and combine it with wine, lemon juice and zest and seasoning and pour into the baking dish.
Step 2: Place chicken on top of the lemon mixture and place lemon wedges throughout.
Step 3: Bake until a meat thermometer registers 150º, slice the meat off the bone and serve.
The house smelled divine from the garlic and lemon, and the chicken itself was tender and not what you would expect for a Wednesday night meal. I tried to make it without the skin and while still good, I could not get it golden brown without getting it too dry. The skin holds in the moisture while baking. So don’t try this on skinless chicken breasts, or if you do, watch it closely so that it doesn’t cook too long.
How long should you cook chicken breasts
Chicken breasts can vary in size, so it’s best to use a meat thermometer and cook them until they are at least 150º. (There are lots of meat thermometers out there but my favorite is by Thermoworks. I’ve had it for years and it’s an instant read thermometer that I’ve found to be accurate and reliable.) They will continue to cook once removed from the oven.
If you find yourself cooking with chicken a lot and want to know for sure that your chicken is cooked thoroughly, head to my informational page on ways to make sure your chicken is cooked all the way but still remains juicy and delicious.
How to make tender juicy Chicken Breasts
Here are few TIPS to help you get perfectly tender and juicy chicken breasts every time
- Marinate in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes or overnight. In the alternative, brine the chicken breasts in a bowl of warm water with a handful of salt dissolved in it. If brining, it only needs to stay in the brine fro 15 minutes and no longer than 6 hours. Either way, rinse off and you are ready to go.
- Sprinkle with olive oil or butter which will seal in the moisture and allow the seasoning to stick to the chicken.
- Bake in a hot oven, at least 400º and test with a meat thermometer.
- Most importantly, let rest for 5-10 minutes after removing from the oven to lock in the juices and complete cooking. Just tent with foil.
The only type of chicken I can find with skin is bone in chicken breasts. They are huge and will feed two people. To serve, just cut the chicken off the bone and serve it sliced after it has rested for 5-10 minutes.
More QUICK and EASY dinner recipes
- Try one pot Taco Spaghetti
- For an impressive dinner check out Apricot Dijon Chicken
- Feeding a crowd, give Tater Tot Casserole a try
- Go Tex- Mex with Sriracha Mango Quesadillas
Need more Chicken recipes, here are some ideas
- Our favorite, Chicken Marsala Meatballs
- Chicken with Tomatoes and Mozzarella cooked in a skillet on the stove
- Try a slow cooker dinner like Chicken coq au vin
- Make a chicken pot pie in a gallette
If you make this Lemon Garlic Chicken, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
I might receive income from links that you click on. Please know that I only provide links to things that I use on a regular basis and think you might find helpful.
Lemon Garlic Chicken Breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup White wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon Zest 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 bone in chicken breasts with skin
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, don’t let it brown. Turn off the heat and add wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt and pour into baking dish.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and place them skin side up over the sauce. Sprinkle the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut the remaining lemon into wedges and place among the pieces.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 150º and the skin is lightly browned. Remove from oven and cover with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Serve with the pan juices.