Lemon Garlic Chicken
One of my running friends mentioned how she struggles to find time to cook with work and kids, which put me on the search for some meals that can be quickly put together by someone who is in a hurry and might not have much cooking experience. I wanted it to be quick but truly spectacular. So I started the stopwatch and then got out the ingredients and put this together in slightly less than 19 minutes. However 10 of those minutes were spent peeling and mincing the garlic. So the second time, I used minced garlic in a jar and it was still delicious and something a teenager could put together in less than 10 minutes, 9 to be exact.
The house smelled divine from the garlic and lemon and the chicken itself was tender and not what you would expect for a Wednesday night meal. I tried to make it without the skin and while still good, I could not get it golden brown without getting it too dry. The skin holds in the moisture while baking. So don’t try this on skinless chicken breasts, or if you do, watch it closely so that it doesn’t cook too long. Use a meat thermometer and cook until it is about 150º. It will continue to cook once you remove from the oven.
The only type of chicken I can find with skin is bone in chicken breasts. They are huge and will feed two people. I just cut the chicken off the bone to serve it. It was so juicy, tender and delicious. If using bone in chicken breasts, mine took about 40 minutes. The trick is using a meat thermometer.Print
Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Prep Time: 9 mins
- Total Time: 9 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup White wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon Zest, 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 bone in chicken breasts, with skin
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, don’t let it brown. Turn off the heat and add wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt and pour into baking dish.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and place them skin side up over the sauce. Sprinkle the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut the remaining lemon into wedges and place among the pieces.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 150º and the skin is lightly browned. Remove from oven and cover with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Serve with the pan juices.
- Ina Garten Barefoot Contessa how easy is that