Baked Lemon Chicken and Roasted Potatoes is simple and delicious. The chicken is tender, juicy and is complimented by the crispy potatoes in a one pan meal. Capers and rosemary with fresh lemon slices give so much flavor to this dish. Easy for a weeknight dinner or for special guests.
Are you ready for an amazing meal that you can prep in 15 minutes and only make one pan dirty. You’ve got to add this delicious tender baked lemon chicken and roasted potatoes to your weekly dinner rotation.
This is one of those dinner recipes I make when the kids are home or I have friends over and I don’t want to spend time in the kitchen – cooking or cleaning up. I still want to make something fabulous and this roasted chicken and potatoes checks all the boxes.
Searing the chicken to start with locks in the flavor and keeps the chicken so juicy and tender. The lemon juices penetrate the potatoes as they cook and they’ll get nice and crispy roasting in the oven.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make a fabulous one pan meal and the oven does all the work.
Even though I have a dish washer, the clean up after cooking is the worst. I’m always gravitating towards one pan dinners like pork chops with peaches, and chicken and sweet potatoes that just require a sheet pan.
But skillet dinners where the skillet goes form stove to oven, create dishes with so much flavor. Whether it’s chicken thighs with olives and grapes, or chicken with white wine, roasted chicken is always a winner at our house.
If you like crispy flavorful potatoes and juicy tender chicken, you’re going to love this lemon chicken with roasted potatoes.
Since the potatoes cook along with the chicken you don’t have to do much to make this a complete meal. Try adding a spinach salad and buttermilk biscuits. If you want to serve a vegetable with your meal, green beans with bacon and onions come together quickly. I know my family always enjoy some bread too like these fluffy homemade dinner rolls if you have a bit more time to plan.
Why you’ll love it
- Only 15 minutes in the kitchen
- Only 1 pan to clean up
- Juicy and tender chicken
- Crispy delicious potatoes
- The sauce is fabulous
- It’s a dish everyone will love
What you’ll need
- Chicken thighs – bone-in with skin on. The skin keeps them tender and juicy, you can always remove it after roasting if you want.
- Lemons for fresh lemon juice and thin slices to add while it’s roasting.
- Capers – I love the unique tart flavor they add to any recipe.
- Fresh Rosemary – if you need to use dry, add just one teaspoon.
- Red potatoes – If using a standard size red potato, cut it into quarters or bite size pieces. You can also sue the mini potatoes, but still cut them in half so that the lemon and chicken flavors can penetrate the potatoes.
- Pantry items – Olive oil and garlic cloves.
How to make chicken and roasted potatoes with lemon
Combine olive oil, lemon juice, capers, sliced lemon, garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
Place oven proof skillet over medium high heat and brown the chicken, skin side down. Remove them to a plate.
Add cut up potatoes to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes have started to brown.
Add the chicken back to the pan, skin side up, and pour over lemon mixture. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is done and potatoes are crisp. (Chicken should be at least 175º)
FAQs and tips
Chicken thighs should be cooked to 175ª. A meat thermometer is the best way to determine if they are done.
If you want the skin on the chicken to be crisp, you should roast it uncovered.
If you use both chicken breasts and thighs, one may cook longer than it needs so you will have to remove them at different times using a meat thermometer. If using chicken breasts, it should ready at 165º.
MORE chicken recipes
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Chicken with Roasted Potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 lemons about ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 lemons sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 tablespoons rosemary finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoons olive oil up to 2 tbsp
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in with skin on
- 1 lbs red potatoes quartered
- Oven Proof Skillet
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup olive oil, lemon juice, capers, sliced lemon, garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place oven proof skillet over medium high heat and add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Once hot, salt and pepper chicken and place skin side down in skillet. Remove to a plate. Add cut up potatoes to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes until browned.
- Add chicken back to the pan, skin side up and pour over lemon mixture over the top. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is done and potatoes are brown.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Chicken thighs should be cooked to 175, chicken breasts to 165º.
- If you are feeding a crowd, you can make this in a Dutch oven.
- You can freeze left overs. Reheat in the oven, not the microwave.
- You can substitute 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary instead of fresh.