Roasted Cauliflower is even better with some browned butter. Add a little spicy and some pumpkin seeds for a great side dish.
Obviously, I love butter, but I have to watch how much I consume. My theory is that a little can go a long way. So adding a little browned butter to roasted cauliflower will make a plain jane dish, spectacular. Seriously, I only used 2 tablespoons, but so worth every calorie it added. Hey you’re eating cauliflower, you can splurge. I love cauliflower to begin with and with the roasted pumpkin seeds, lime juice and red pepper flakes added to the browned butter and drizzled over the top, all I can say is YUM. I went a little overboard on roasting the pumpkin seeds, but stopped just short of burning them. This is going to be a staple around our house once the girls go back to college. Try as I might, I can’t get either of them to eat cauliflower, even with browned butter. Sometimes, I just have to accept a lost cause when I see it.
This is really easy to make. I sliced the cauliflower head so that the pieces were about a half inch thick. This way they will roast more evenly and you won’t get some pieces that are burnt while others are raw. I turned them once during the process so that both sides could get nice and brown. Once roasted, you just drizzle it with the browned butter mixture and serve. There was not a single bite left.
So start out the year with this delicious healthy recipe.
Roasted Cauliflower with Browned Butter
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ pumpkin seeds up to ½ cup
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat oven to 450º. Sprinkle olive oil to coat a rimmed baking sheet.
- Slice cauliflower into ½ inch slices. Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes until bottoms are browned. Turn and season with additional salt and pepper and continue to cook until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes longer.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, place the butter in a small skillet over medium heat with pumpkin seeds until butter is browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add red pepper flakes. Let cool slightly. Add chopped cilantro and lime juice. Pour over cooked cauliflower.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- Bon Appetit December 2015