Baked tequila lime chicken wings are marinated in Tequila, lime juice and harissa paste for a slightly sweet and spicy appetizer. Great for game night! Switch up your favorite wings and enjoy the unique flavor tequila adds to chicken.
While bacon wrapped munchies may be the number one favorite appetizer for March Madness, chicken wings are a close second. But of course we can’t just have plain Jane ones, we need tequila lime chicken wings.
Try using a good quality Tequila so that you really get the flavor from the Tequila. The alcohol is important because it helps tenderize the chicken wings before they’re baked There are so many great things going on with this recipe that your fellow sports fans are going to love you for serving them.
These chicken wings get a lot of their flavor from Harissa paste. If you like more of a buffalo taste, then try some buffalo wings, or if you don’t like sauce at all then you’ll love parmesan chicken wings.
If you’re going to serve this at a party, get some helpful tips along with 25 delicious game day appetizer recipes to choose from.
Why you’ll love tequila lime chicken wings
- You can never have enough appetizer recipes
- If you like tequila, you’ll love the subtle flavor it adds to the wings
- You can serve them baked with the marinade or create a simple glaze to top them off with
- You can prepare the marinade and place the chicken ahead of time and take them out about 30 minutes before you want to serve them, bake and they’ll be ready.
- The tequila makes them so tender on the inside, no dried out wings
What you’ll need
- Chicken wings – drumsticks will work too
- Tequila – grab a quality tequila to get the best flavor in your marinade. If you aren’t a fan of tequila, grab the mini’s from the store.
- Lime – you will use both the zest and the fresh juice
- Harissa paste – see below for what it is but this adds a great smoky flavor and some heat for those who enjoy spice on their chicken
- Agave nectar – this is actually a syrup that comes from blue agave plant and can be a healthy sweetener. Maple syrup is a simple substitute if you can’t find this.
How do you make tequila chicken wings
Step 1: Start with a marinade of tequila, lime juice and harissa paste, to add a little heat, and just a touch of agave nectar to sweeten things up a bit. Let them marinate in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Step 2: Place the wings on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, flipping half way through.
How to finish the wings with a simple glaze
If you want to go the extra mile, you can take the marinade and cook it down a bit on the stove to form a glaze while they’re baking. When they come out of the oven you can drizzle the glaze over the top. I thought these were pretty awesome without the glaze and not as messy to eat. You choose, messy or not so messy.
What is harissa paste
Harissa is made of dried chilies that have been rehydrated. The flavors can vary quite a bit from hot to mild. Some have a smokey flavor and some have more of a vinegar base. Give it a taste before adding to make sure it’s not too spicy. You can use it anytime you would use a hot sauce.
If you find yourself cooking with chicken a lot and want to know for sure that your chicken is cooked thoroughly, head to my informational page on ways to make sure your chicken is cooked all the way but still remains juicy and delicious.
FAQ’s and tips
Yes, they are the same cut of meat. They are great for appetizers because of the higher skin to meat ratio.
Chicken thighs, drumsticks and wings have a higher calorie content and are a fattier cut. However, chicken is a healthy overall protein to enjoy in your diet.
Yes, it’s a good idea to give the chicken a turn halfway through baking to allow each side to crisp up nicely.
Typically if you’re going to use a sauce, you can toss it onto the chicken after baking. A marinade that the chicken sits in ahead of baking just helps to keep chicken moist and not dry out and keep it from getting chewy.
You can refrigerate them up to 3-4 days in an air tight container, or you can freeze them and re-warm in the oven at 350º for 5 minutes.
Need more party appetizers
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Tequila Lime Chicken Wings Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken wings
- ½ cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons lime juice 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 2-3 tablespoon harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients and pour over chicken wings in a resealable bag. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450º. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and if you have a rack place it on top of the foil. If not, spray the foil with cooking spray. Cook for 25 minutes. Half way through, flip the wings. Cook until they are a golden brown.
- While cooking, add the marinade to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes until it forms a glaze. Pour over chicken wings before serving. This is optional.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- To keep this recipe simple and ready in just 30 minutes, prepare the marinade and let the chicken sit for several hours, then bake them before you’re ready to serve.
- If you want to go the extra mile, you can take the leftover marinade and cook it down a bit on the stove to form a glaze while they’re baking.
- Bake on a rack inside a rimmed baking sheet to get them extra crispy.