Do you need something super quick and delicious for dinner, then you have to try shrimp and asparagus with a lemon shallot vinaigrette. It’s a light and healthy one pan dinner you can make in less than 15 minutes. Only have frozen shrimp, no problem, you can safely thaw them in 10 minutes. These are so good you won’t even realize that it’s good for you!
Spring is just beginning and even if the weather is unpredictable, you know it’s spring when you start to see fresh asparagus. This light and refreshing meal begins with shrimp and asparagus and finishes with a tangy lemon vinaigrette. Start to finish in less than 15 minutes.
You’ll roast the both in the oven using just one pan so clean up’s a breeze and it only takes about 8 minutes in the oven. If you buy shrimp that are already peeled, you can make this in 10 minutes, it’s that simple. However, just because it’s simple doesn’t mean it’s lacking in flavor. You can’t beat the taste of roasted asparagus and roasting the shrimp makes it easy to keep them from overcooking.
Why you’ll love oven roasted shrimp
- It’s quick – less than 15 minutes
- It’s simple to make- just 6 ingredients
- You only make one pan dirty
- It’s a light and refreshing meal
- The lemon vinaigrette adds just enough tanginess without overpowering the main ingredients.
- It’s low carb, paleo, whole 30, keto, it ticks all the boxes.
PRO TIP: If you didn’t plan ahead and have frozen shrimp you have a couple of options. You don’t want to shock them by microwaving them or placing them in hot water. Instead place them in a ziplock and submerge the bag in a cool bowl of water, holding it down with a plate or something heavy, this will take about 45 minutes. In a hurry, then just dump the shrimp in a bowl of cool water and they will thaw in 10-20 minutes.
What you’ll need
- Shrimp – any size will work, if using small shrimp, decrease the oven time.
- Asparagus – use fresh asparagus and trim the ends
- Lemon and shallot – these make up the dressing along with olive oil.
- Shaved parmesan – you don’t have to use shaved parmesan but it adds more cheese to each bite.
How do you make this sheet pan easy dinner
Step 1: Trim the asparagus. The ends can be tough and woody, so cut the stalk where it starts to turn from white to green.
Step 2: Place the asparagus on a sheet pan and drizzle with oil and salt and pepper. Toss with your hands and lay out single file on half of the pan. Roast in the oven for 3 minutes.
Step 3: While the asparagus is cooking make the dressing by adding lemon zest, lemon juice and shallots to a jar with a lid. Add the olive oil and shake.
Step 3: Toss the peeled and deveined shrimp in olive oil and salt and pepper. After the asparagus has cooked for 3 minutes, place the shrimp on the other half of the sheet pan and roast for about 5 minutes.
Step 4: While still on the pan, drizzle part of the lemon vinaigrette over the asparagus. Add the asparagus to the serving plates and top with shrimp. Drizzle more dressing over and top with grated parmesan.
Keep this recipe in mind when you don’t think you have time to cook or if you have friends coming over and want something quick and easy but impressive to serve.
FAQ’s and tips
While the best way to thaw shrimp is to allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator, that’s not very practical so place them in a ziplock and submerge the bag in a bowl of cool water for 45 minutes or place them directly in cool water and it will only take 10-20 minutes.
This shrimp and asparagus recipe is especially good served cold over mixed greens for a beautiful summer salad.
The best way to trim asparagus is to cut it at the point where it turns from white to green.
This is a personal preference, there is no health reasons to devein a shrimp. The black streak is actually the digestive track so in large shrimp it can affect the taste of the shrimp. In small shrimp it is very small and won’t affect the taste.
What could you serve with roasted shrimp
More quick and easy dinners
- Queso chicken
- Chicken with mozzarella and tomatoes
- Tater Tot casserole
- BBQ cups
- Carbonara with shrimp and corn
- Chicken enchiladas
If you loved this recipe, give it a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating! Also, snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #butterandbaggage and tagging me @butterandbaggage.
Shrimp and Asparagus
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shaved
- salt and pepper
- Grate the zest from the lemon into a jar with a lid. Squeeze 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and add shallots.. Add the olive oil and shake. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Toss the asparagus with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on half of a baking sheet, separating the spears. Roast on the top shelf of the oven for about 3 minutes.
- Toss shrimp with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan of asparagus from the oven and arrange shrimp on the empty side. Return to the oven and roast until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour some of the lemon vinaigrette over the asparagus and place on serving plates. Add shrimp to the top and sprinkle with shaved parmesan and more vinaigrette.
Barbara’s Tips + Notes
- If the shrimp is frozen, thaw it by placing shrimp directly into a bowl of cool water, they should thaw in about 10-20 minutes.
- You do not have to devein the shrimp and is generally only done if using large shrimp.
- This can be served warm or cold
- If using small shrimp, decrease the cooking time.