Barbecue Cups are a blast from the past. Ground beef, barbecue sauce, and bacon baked inside pizza dough for a quick and easy dinner. A great finger food to grab when you’re in a hurry.
Last weekend I made meatballs nestled inside biscuit dough. They looked beautiful and we couldn’t wait to try them. However, they were blah and needed a lot of work. As we were eating them, I mentioned that they reminded me of Barbie Cups, (our nickname for Barbecue Cups) that we had when we were kids, made with Bisquick biscuits and hamburger with barbecue sauce.
While Mike and I were reminiscing about the good old days, the girls convinced me to try to recreate them.
I decided to use pizza dough instead of biscuit dough and then threw in some applewood smoked bacon, hamburger and a honey based barbecue sauce. The girls loved them. The pizza dough made them a little lighter but easier to handle than the ones I remembered.
How do you make Barbecue Cups
- Cut the pizza dough into 12 squares and stretch it so it fits inside a muffin tin.
- Brown bacon and hamburger, drain and add barbecue sauce, I use Rufus Teague Honey Barbeque sauce.
- Fill the muffin tins with the hamburger mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the pizza dough or biscuit dough is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
I refrigerated the leftovers and Natalie loved them two days later warmed up in the toaster oven and she rarely eats leftovers. These also freeze great and can be reheated for a quick lunch or dinner on the go. The pizza dough keeps the filling intact so no fork required!
If you want to make them even better, use my Buttermilk Biscuit recipe instead of pizza dough. While it’s an added step, the biscuit texture and flavor is amazing.
If you makeBBQ Cups be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your creation.
- 1 lb hamburger
- ½ cup onion diced
- 4 slices bacon diced
- ½ cup honey barbeque sauce
- pizza dough
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 450º. Lightly spray muffin pan with cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, cook onion and bacon until bacon is browned. Add hamburger and cook through. Add barbecue sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll out pizza dough and cut into 12 equal squares. Spread the dough up the sides of the muffin tins. Scoop hamburger mixture into each cup. Bake for 5 minutes, remove from oven and top with cheese. Continue to bake for about 5 more minutes until crust starts to brown and cheese is melted.
- Bake for 10 minutes.