Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas are a quick and easy dinner with a delicious sour cream sauce. Perfect for a family dinner or for special guests.
It’s amazing how just a little cream and cheese can turn a so-so dish into a spectacular one. White Chicken Enchiladas made with rotisserie chicken and then covered in a cheesy sour cream sauce are one of our favorite ways to make enchiladas. Not your typical enchiladas there’s no red enchilada sauce. That doesn’t mean they are not packed with flavor.
White Chicken Enchiladas have a bit of heavy cream. You can always cut back on the fat and use whole milk but you will need some fat to get a creamy sauce. I like spicy food so I used a jalapeño and serrano pepper for the flavor and pepper jack cheese on top at the end to give it even more spice. This can easily be adapted by using Monterey Jack cheese and leaving out the peppers. Your sauce will still be awesome.
How do you make White Chicken Enchiladas:
First, start by sautéing the onions and peppers together if you are using peppers. Then add rotisserie chicken with a little chicken broth and some sour cream.
Second, in a separate skillet make a béchamel sauce with butter, flour and chicken broth. When that is thickened you’ll add some cream, cheese and sour cream. Third, assemble the tortillas and pour the sauce over the top. Add a bit more cheese and bake.
Every time I pull out this recipe, everyone is always asking why I don’t make these more often. The sauce is so good, you’ll want to lick the pan. I’ve used both corn and flour tortillas and both work well.
White Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 jalepeno diced
- 1 serrano diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken shredded
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- salt and pepepr
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 to tortillas
- FILLING: In a large skillet, sauté onion and peppers in olive oil until the onion is translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add cooked shredded chicken, 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook for a few minutes. Set aside.
- SAUCE: n a separate skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add flour and whisk constantly for about 1 minute until smooth. Gently pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add cream and 1/2 of the cheese. Stir in sour cream.
- Warm tortillas in microwave for 10 seconds until warm. Place chicken mixture on the tortilla, add a little cheese and roll up. Place in glass baking dish seam side down. Pour sauce over the top and sprinkle with more cheese if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350º or until slightly browned and bubbly.